How To Use The Tooth Fairy To Teach Your Child Good Dental Habits
Did you know that in 2013 the tooth fairy went to the home of 86 percent of children in the United States who lost one of their teeth? In 98 percent of these homes, the tooth fairy left money, and in 2 percent she left other gifts. Roughly 42 percent of the children receive one dollar while 28 percent receive more than five dollars for every tooth. The tooth fairy is someone your child looks forward to. Why not use her to promote good dental habits?
Introduce the Tooth Fairy at an Early Age
You do not have to wait until your child loses his or her first tooth to introduce the tooth fairy. Introduce the tooth fairy as soon as you think your child is old enough to understand. Then, you can explain to your child how good dental hygiene will make her happy.
You could also tell your child that taking care of their teeth will make them worth a better gift from the tooth fairy. If you have trouble getting your child to brush and floss, tell your child the tooth fairy will not take teeth that are not properly cared for.
Leave Notes From the Tooth Fairy
Finding a note written from the tooth fairy is just as exciting for a child as receiving the gift itself. The note should let the child know he or she is taking good care of his or her teeth. The note can also include some tips for continuing to take good care of his or her teeth. A note might not seem like a big deal, but it will make a huge difference to your child.
Give Something Other Than Money
You do not have to be one of the 98 percent of homes where a tooth fairy leaves cash. You could be one of the 2 percent of homes where the tooth fairy leaves a gift instead. Consider leaving your child a fun toothbrush or a book that relates to dental care. You could also find a fun tube of toothpaste featuring a cartoon character you know your child likes.
If it has always been a tradition in your family to give money when your child loses a tooth, this is not something you have to stop to teach good dental hygiene habits. Consider leaving a note or a toothbrush with the cash. This way you keep up with the tradition and teach your child about better dental health.
Visit a website like http://bayviewdentalarts.com/ to learn about other ways to help your kids learn healthy oral healthcare habits.